-->

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Creating a Drawing "Flower-eater"

Software used: Photoshop.


Introduction

Drawing "Flower-eater" was painted by me as part of Drawing Jam, and is my own vision of this famous plant. In this tutorial, I would like to demonstrate the process of creating a drawing, and I hope that one of you it is useful.



Tools

When creating the majority of his paintings, I use one or two main brushes and a few special, but their use is always dependent on the specific design. I like to combine these brushes with the selection tools (Selection tool), because it allows me to make clear boundaries and draw on some parts of my drawings.


The process of creating

I do not know why, but I love to use layers. I keep the layers as long as I will not be completely sure that I like my drawing.

After that, I leave only one layer and delete the rest and start working with a new coat. Perhaps it would be easier to demonstrate the process of creating a drawing than to describe it, but I still try. I usually start with the fact that I draw on a new layer for the figure. As soon as I got the desired shape, I begin to sketch the main color. Usually I hide selected area, but in this case I had left it as a good example.
My next step is to create a new layer and add the approximate shadows. After the completion of the application of shadows, I erase unnecessary. This process is repeated many times.
I've done the same thing with the range of medium and bright tones. Areas of bright colors, I usually divide into smaller sections and draws / wash them on separate layers. I continue to use the same brush to draw and erase.

Sketching

Despite the fact that many artists start with a rough sketch drawing or shading, I prefer to start with a sketch in different colors and strokes of different shapes (Ris.03). It often takes some time to see the pattern in the chaos of strokes, but I use this time to get to work your brain and imagination.

The first objects in the picture

The first thing I saw in this figure are the outlines of the trees, so I decided to "clear" the background to create the desired mood and direction of the drawing. Then I drew some outlines of trees in a selection tool (Selection tool). As soon as I got the right form, I painted them my main brush. And to create a soft and smooth transition from light to shadow, I used the Eraser (Eraser tool).

Delineating the contour drawing and giving mood

Using the same technique of drawing, I continued to work on the image of the trees. Trees placed in the background, are just finishing touches. This is the easiest way to add depth to the image and keep the proportions.

In order to draw the land I used a technique developed by Sparta (Sparth), which is called "Special forms". This technique is very similar to a special brush, but unlike the hands, she is working on a brush / paths. After I cut the outline, I smoothed out the sharp edges with the Eraser (Eraser tool). The leaves were painted using a special brush. Using the color gradient on the layer mode to Soft Light (Soft Light) set the general mood and color temperature of the picture.

Specification

At that time, I was pleased with the mood and colors of the picture, so I'm using a technique of special forms and hands began to add details and some elements of the front and middle ground. To highlight the bright areas in the trees, and I again used selection tools (Selection tool) - just select the desired location, hide the selection and can draw.

Create a sketch of a flower

I'm too busy, painting wood, and completely forgot about the topic drawing - flower-eater. After a not very quick search on the Internet (a great source of inspiration, as well as a great way to pass the time), I was very inspired by the beautiful shape and color of this plant. Again with my main brush I made ​​a sketch of the original shape of the flower, and added light and shadow.

The second flower detail and color temperature

Continuing to work on a sketch of a flower, adding all the new parts and determining the direction of light, I decided to add one more "bud." I also created a copy of the layer with a flower and set the blending mode of Soft Light (Soft Light). This is quite an effective way to increase the contrast and color intensity. Also using the number pad, I experimented with the level of transparency. At this stage, all the layers were separated - a separate layer for the background, separate - for parts in the background, as well as a separate layer for the flower and leaf.

Color temperature and details

I made copies of all the layers and removed all but one. Now it's time to add more details to the background and foreground. Again I used my custom brush for the leaves to make more voluminous bushes. Your drawing does not look colorful, I always use only shades of those colors that are already present in the picture. I also added the leaves on the trees with the same brush. You should always strive to repeat the same objects in your drawing. Must be periodically rotated image to have a fresh look to it. I also duplicated the plants, reduced them and put them in the top right corner. The new form of the plant will tell you at the center of the picture.

Center of the picture - the girl-stamen

In the end I was happy with my plant, but something was still missing. Something that would attract a man, something alluring ... and what could be more appealing to men than a beautiful woman with the perfect body? (Yes, men are sometimes very simple!) I had an idea, and I started sketching women, again using its main brush. A simple silhouette and use only white gives the character more mysterious look. The sparkling lights surrounding the woman, also added a magical connotation. The lights were painted with a round brush (Round brush) (with modified settings form, dynamics and range).

Poor guy

So now I had everything - the furniture, plants, magic. It's time to draw the poor guy, a guy who should be eaten the flower. Again I used my basic brush (in the regime of opacity (Opacity mode)) to create a silhouette and selection tools (Selection tool) for the details. I used the same technique as before, and began to paint the main color. For details, I always create a new layer. I try to erase some areas with the main color to create shadows and continue to draw only the highlights. This process is continually repeated as long as I get what I want.

Environment

I created a separate layer for the situation. Fog was painted with a special brush for the clouds of large size (up to 1000 pixels). Using the same brush to remove certain parts of the clouds, I got a spectacular fog. Callout in a cloud with a heart was drawn for fun, but I decided to leave it.
The contrast of warm / cool tones At this point I decided to take a break from drawing. Incidentally, this is another good way to look at the picture in a new way. After a cup of coffee, I found that the basic tone of the picture was too warm and brownish. I enjoy a marked contrast of warm / cool tones, so I created a new layer and added to the upper right corner from the center of the picture blue radial gradient (Radial Gradient). Layer was set to Soft Light mode (Soft Light) with opaque (Opacity) = 40%. I created a copy and flipped layer. With a filter Chroma (Color saturation filter) I made the switch from blue to warm orange.
Finishing touches I again made up of layers and removed all but one of the latter. I created a new layer for the final details. I added a few leaves on the front, the background and the trees using a special brush. For the rays of light, I created a new layer (with an opaque (Opacity) = 20%), deep yellow colored bars and applied a filter motion blur (Motion Blur filter). I created a copy of this layer by clicking Add (Add) and set the Opacity (Opacity). I then smoothed out the entire layer and copied it. I used the tool Dimming / Brightening (Burn / Dodge tool) with a soft round brush (Soft Round brush), established in opaque mode (Opacity mode), to create a glow effect lights and girls stamens.

Conclusion

I hope this tutorial has given you some idea of how I usually work. There are many different techniques and methods for creating these masterpieces on canvas. But, I believe that the key to building a high-image lies in the understanding of light / shadow, color theory and attention to composition.

I hope my tutorial was useful to you, and if you have any questions on the details, do not hesitate to drop me an email.

Author: Markus Lovadinus (Marcus Lovadinus), Germany












NEXT ARTICLE Next Post
PREVIOUS ARTICLE Previous Post
NEXT ARTICLE Next Post
PREVIOUS ARTICLE Previous Post
 

Delivered by FeedBurner